Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Book Review: The Richest Man In Babylon

Book Review: The Richest Man In Babylon by George Clason

I absolutely loved this book! Everything about it was great. First it's written in a witty "King James English" sort of prose. Secondly the book is a collection of stories - each can be read independent of each other and yet all connect with each other as well. Thirdly, the last story is the best one (in my humble opinion). I have heard this book referred to many times as the "classic" on financial wisdom and now I can see why. I can see how the author of The Wealthy Barber and other similar books borrowed liberally from Clason's work. I may even integrate the book into my premarital counselling as the financial stories are so wise and so well put.

The author is a genius. Apparently the book was made from a collection of tracts that banks used to have - little tracts that would tell people how to be wise with their money (not so anymore, eh?). Clason manages to entertain, to put it in a style that engages (the story), and a language that seems authoritative (old English) for a truly excellent literary experience. If your finances aren't doing well, this book might be the trick to turning it around. I give it 4.9 ninja stars out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment