Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Book Review: Honey, I Don't Have A Headache Tonight

Book Review: Honey, I Don't Have A Headache Tonight: Help For Women Who Want To Feel More In The Mood
by Sheila Wray Gregoire

I know what you are thinking; Not another sex book! I was recently preparing for a speak to a Mom's group on the topic of "Keeping Romance Alive After Kids" and my coworker recommended this book to me to assist me in my preparation. The book is written by a woman for women. It is delightfully realistic about the challenges women face in their intimate life after having children. It addresses a lot of common obstacles to a great sex life during this life stage; time constraints, desire constraints, energy constraints, privacy constraints, etc. It is unique in that it is easily readable, aimed not at changing your spouse but changing you, and is written from a healthy Christian perspective. I like to think of it as sex help 101 for Christian moms with young kids. There were a few gems in this book and seemed especially appropriate for women who are wishing they were more affectionate in this area but feel stuck. Addressed are common roadblocks - releasing one from guilt and encouraging you to instead try some new things. A lot of women beat themselves up regarding their desire and performance while going through the young child years and it's not necessary. I rate this book 3.9 ninja stars out of 5. Good for anyone with mild to moderate discontent with intimacy after kids. For men, reading this might be helpful to understand what it's like from a woman's perspective (especially the first chapter story called "Andrea's evening of evasion!").

No comments:

Post a Comment